State Officials Agree On Teacher Evaluation System

New York State education officials and the state teachers’ union reached a last-minute agreement last Thursday on a new evaluation system, according to the New York Times. The agreement allows school districts to base up to 40 percent of a teacher’s annual review on standardized test results. The remaining 60 percent will come from classroom observations by principals. If a teacher receives an “ineffective” rating, a third-party evaluator will be brought in to perform three classroom observations during the following year. Despite the agreement, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced he would go forward with his original plan to close 33 struggling schools.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *